Vision Assistant Job
Full Job Title: Vision Assistant
Job Number: 17007749
Facility: SSM Health Davis Duehr Dean Eye Care
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Full Time, 8 Hour Day, Days
Hours: 8-5 Monday - Friday Position is 2 day at East and 3 days at Regent
The Vision Assistant 1 participates in the care and treatment of ophthalmic patients.
1. Manages patient flow and performs patient rooming standards.
2. Assists ophthalmic providers and technicians in the exam and treatment of patients.
3. Performs and document visual fields ordered by ophthalmic providers.
4. Escorts patients to other areas of the department for completion of the examination.
5. Collects and records accurate telephone information and relays it to ophthalmic provider or technician.
6. Depending on location and/or department, may be responsible for performing the following responsibilities:
a. Basic computer scheduling, rescheduling, canceling, and coordination of appointment.
b. Auditing of charge tickets for 24 hour turnover and verification of procedure and diagnosis codes.
7. Provides patient education under direction of ophthalmic provider or technician.
8. Neutralizes and records spectacle prescription by the means of an automatic lensometer.
9. Instructs and measures intraocular pressure, corneal curvature, and refractive error using automated equipment under direction of a technician.
10. Performs additional medical responsibilities assigned by ophthalmic provider, who supervises and assumes legal responsibility for these actions.
11. Orders and maintains supplies and materials needed in the assigned work area.
12. Maintains equipment in a preventative maintenance program, i.e. proper handling, care, cleaning, changing bulb, batteries, etc.
13. Attends and participates in programs offering continuing education.
14. Acts as a resource to other health care providers.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Completion of the American Academy of Ophthalmology Home Study Course within one year of employment OR completion of the JCAT Independent Study Course within one year of employment OR enrollment in an accredited Ophthalmic/Optometric formal course of instruction.
1. Previous medical experience.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working with ophthalmic equipment, computer work, writing or phone tasks.
4. Ability to twist/bend and hold awkward positions to refract
5. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and to push/pull boxes, ophthalmic equipment or wheelchairs. Some direct patient handling tasks are performed.
6. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with bloodborne pathogens or other chemicals.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs