Urgent Care Clerk Job
Full Job Title: Urgent Care Clerk - East
Job Number: 17000801
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group East
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Part Time
The Urgent Care Clerk, under the supervision of the Clinical Manager, serves as the primary point of contact with patients, registration/schedulers, providers, nursing staff in a high volume, unpredictable, acute care setting. The Urgent Care Clerk supports the patient flow process by assembling charts, scheduling appointments, ordering labs as directed, keeping the locator board up to date, paging physicians, calling for emergency services, organizing all department records, ordering/retrieving charts, answering incoming calls and performing work queue reconciliation.
1. Coordinates all communications between medical and nursing staff, including the determination and notification for the need of immediate triage.
2. Approaches all patient encounters, providers and nursing staff in a friendly, helpful, welcoming manner.
3. Performs all functions of the scheduling process for appointments and procedures.
4. Prepares Urgent Care charts, which would include pulling printed labels, gathering reason for visit, monitoring Epic arrival, assigning patient to provider and attaching any necessary medical and/or worker's compensation forms.
5. Manages nurse work queues by providing procedure and diagnosis codes.
7. Locates or pages on call physicians for immediate consult with the Urgent Care provider, which may consist of multiple phone calls to pagers, cell phones, clinics, hospitals and/or switchboard within a very limited time frame.
8. Participates in emergency situations by calling for ambulance, preparing paper work, communicating with the hospital, assisting family members. May also assist with CPR efforts.
9. Assist with patient flow by transporting patients to other departments as needed and re-rooming upon their return.
10. Acts as a courier of specimens, x-rays, medical records within the Medical Center, expediting patient flow during emergency situations and during times of high patient volume..
11. Answers incoming phone calls, collecting information for medical and nursing staff.
12. Completes lab/x-ray requisitions per established protocols.
13. Files and organizes all department records, as well as sorting and filing mail.
14. Maintain reasonable inventory of clerical and office supplies.
15. Faxes, copies, and sends records as needed to other providers.
16. Respects and maintains strict confidentiality of all patient information.
17. Works as a member of a team with the flexibility to rotate to other shifts and/or other sites as required. Also provides coverage for weekends and holidays.
18. Participates in quality improvement.
19. Attends staff and site team meetings monthly as required.
20. Other duties as assign
1. High school diploma or equivalent with 3-5 years experience in a customer service, reception or business setting with a minimum of 1 years of that experience in a medical setting.
2. Fundamental desire, maturity and ability to provide exceptional customer service.
3. Good decision making, communication and organizational skills.
4. Pleasant, outgoing personality.
5. Ability to perform multiple tasks in a busy, ever changing environment.
6. Previous PC training and experience with the ability to type with full keyboard knowledge.
7. Proven attention to detail.
8. Excellent verbal, listening and interpersonal skills.
9. Ability to work first or second shift and holiday and weekend hours.
1. CPR Certification.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology.
3. Previous Unit Clerk experience.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods and to move quickly between tasks.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working with instrument / equipment, writing, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds and to push/pull up to 100 pounds when working with equipment, pushing wheelchairs or assisting with patient handling tasks.
6. Ability to bend/twist and crouch when performing various job tasks.
About SSM Health Dean Medical Group–
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs