System Director - Coding & Charge Capture Job
Full Job Title: System Director Coding & Charge Capture
Job Number: 17011617
Facility: SSM Health - System Office
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time
- Provides system-level strategic direction for the Coding and Charge Capture Department. Develop a high-functioning, best practice coding and charge capture team to ensure full revenue capture and efficient operational performance.
- Sets strategy/approach regarding coding structure. Develop department goals, objectives and tactical plans consistent with the organizational strategic plan and vision. Define services to be abstract coded and reviewed based on location, specialty, service or other parameters deemed appropriate. Ensure comprehensive policies and procedures, desk level procedures, and other work tools are developed and available to all coding and charge capture staff to facilitate training and work accuracy.
- Develops objective quality and productivity measures for staff and, in conjunction with department managers and supervisors, actively monitor these to ensure high quality, productive performance. Ensure deficiencies are addressed timely.
- Identifies staff needs and remove barriers to ensure staff are able to meet the quality, productivity, and performance expectations set for them. Ensure training programs are sufficient to support staff and facilitate effective performance.
- Creates a work environment for staff through team building, coaching, constructive feedback, work delegation, personal example and goal setting that encourages creativity, open dialogue on work issues, professional growth, and a consistent, high level of performance. Encourage and support staff decision-making within their scope of responsibilities.
- Anticipates external and internal factors that require operational, system or personnel changes within assigned areas. Actively and continuously monitor key performance metrics, analyze workflows, organizational structure, staffing assignments or other factors to ensure optimal performance; make recommendations and modifications, as necessary.
- Evaluates Epic system build to ensure comprehensive edits are implemented, or recommend ancillary systems/tools, if appropriate, to ensure optimal charge scrubbing/clean claims submission.
- Conducts denial root cause analysis with team to identify opportunities for error reduction, including additional system edits, provider education, clinic management feedback, etc.
- Works with System Director, Insurance Follow-up to implement workflow for managing coding-related denials.
- Develops HCC coding expertise and structure to facilitate complete coding/capture of diagnosis codes to ensure accurate patient risk adjustment/identification.
- Creates system/structure to ensure physician feedback and, where necessary, at-the-elbow coding support. Review and monitor physician templates to assist physicians with correct coding and, where possible, streamline their work.
- Maintains an understanding of governmental regulatory changes within the industry, local markets, etc. that may require updates, modifications, or changes to Coding and Charge Capture policies, procedures, set-up, or processes to ensure compliance with these regulations. Collaborate with SSM Corporate Responsibility program to ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations.
- Works with system office and regional colleagues throughout SSM to continuously improve the PRO, while enhancing service to patients, and optimizing relationships with strategic business partners.
- Builds strong relationships and facilitate productive communication between key PRO stakeholders, including peer leaders of PRO and core support departments (e.g., human resources, integrated health technologies, finance).
- Develops and monitors budget for the Coding and Charge Capture department.
- Recognizes departmental areas of excellence and oversee the development and implement action plans where performance is not meeting expectations.
- Performs any special assignments, as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in business or related field
- A minimum of seven years of increasingly responsible experience in health care finance of which includes a minimum of five years in professional billing and a minimum of three years in a Director level role.
- CPC, AHIMA or other professional coding certification.
- In depth knowledge of professional billing software
- Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge of Epic preferred
SSM Health - System Office –
SSM Health is one of the largest Catholic health systems in the country and is dedicated to quality and compassionate care for anyone in need, regardless of ability to pay. Based in St. Louis, where its System Office is located, SSM Health operates 20 hospitals in Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma. We provide care in various settings: outpatient sites, physician offices, a pharmacy benefit company, an insurance plan, hospitals, nursing homes, home care, hospice, telehealth and a technology company.Our Mission: Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs