Respiratory Therapist Job
Full Job Title: Respiratory Therapist
Job Number: 17005487
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Part Time (Benefit Eligible), Evenings, Weekends, Rotating Weekends
- 1. Communications: (A) Exhibit an approachable, interactive style in relationships. (B) Communicates information concerning patient conditions and therapy to appropriate personnel; consults with Director about situations requiring additional expertise, assistance, or management decision. (C) Communicate effectively by seeking and giving feedback, articulating ideas, listening and sharing information with all stakeholders (intra- and inter-departmentally). (D) Participate in a variety of means of communication to stay abreast of current issues within the department and hospital. (E) Collaborate with fellow team members and staff. (F) Act with integrity and honesty, being willing to trust others and able to engender trust.
- 2. Team Work: (A) Collaborate with peers, staff, fellow team members and outside colleagues. (B) Assist with training personnel as assigned. (C) Rotate in other job tasks as necessary. (D) Exhibit an approachable, interactive style in relationships. (E) Communicate effectively by being receptive to and receiving feedback. (F) Adopts to changing environment with patient treatments. (G) Recognize and voluntarily assist other staff as needed. (H) Performs other duties as requested.
- 3. Policy and Procedures: (A) Follows written procedure established for all respiratory therapy services and consults with Director if variance from procedure occurs or is indicated. (B) Maintain familiarity with fire, disaster, Code Blue plans and participates when necessary.
- 4. Therapy Administration and Documentation: (A) Administers respiratory therapy by utilizing aerosol generators, IPPB machines, incentive spirometer, and chest physiotherapy. (B) Accepts and carries out verbal medical orders, following established procedure. (C) Record patient clinical and technical data in patient's electronic health records or on appropriate forms. (D) Makes rounds and maintains accurate records on oxygen and other equipment used. (E) Read extracts and interprets information in the electronic health record accurately and responds appropriately. (F) Documents all clinical activities and intervention accurately and completely. (G) Organizes and prioritizes individual work assignments.
- 5. Pulmonary Functions: (A) Conducts pulmonary function studies and observes appropriate precautions as ordered. (B) Safely carries out arterial puncture and collection of arterial blood for gas analysis as ordered. (C) Notifies home care company if inpatient needs respiratory services in the home.
- 6. Ventilator Treatments: (A) Initiates, monitors, and weans patients from continuous mechanical ventilators as ordered; consults physician concerning arterial blood gas results and ventilator setting changes.
- 7. Equipment Safety and Maintenance: (A) Provides for and monitors respiratory care utilizing proper equipment and technique. (B) Ensures that equipment is in proper working order by providing repairs, routine maintenance, and cleaning. (C) Uses equipment that is appropriate for the age of the patients being treated.
- 8. Patient Assessment and Equipment Monitoring: (A) Visits all assigned patients to assess patient's progress as related to overall care plan. (B) Safely and effectively provides treatments, diagnostic testing, and monitoring procedures as prescribed. (C) Ensures that equipment is functioning properly, and proper technique is followed. (D) Render clinical therapeutic and diagnostic intervention appropriate for care of patient. (E) Enforces safety standards by informing personnel, patients, and visitors of the precautions. (F) Exercise critical thinking and sound judgment to recognize and consults with physician on interventional treatment.
- 9. Age Assessment: (A) Physical assessment is age appropriate. (B) Develops plan of care which is age appropriate. (C) Administers age appropriate therapies and monitors response to these therapies. (D) Maintains technical competence necessary to provide quality care to age specific patient population.
- 10. Education and Training: (A) Participates in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to Respiratory Therapy, medical, nursing, and other staffs. (B) Attends orientation, education, and training programs pertinent to the delivery of patient care on their teams. (C) Reviews literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of Respiratory Therapy. (D) Attends in-services and staff meetings on a regular basis. (E) Train personnel as assigned.
- 11. Charge Duties - Rotating Charge Primary Duties: (A) Performs charge role which includes coordinating all operational activities for the assigned shift. (B) Maintains communication with staff and follow-ups with manager appropriately as department needs dictate. (C) Coordinates staff according to needs of the department to maintain a balanced workload. (D) Replaces sick calls as needed in collaboration with department staffing plan. (E) Acts as resource person to shift staff for clinical and departmental needs. (F) Adheres to charge person criteria and selection process. (G) In the absence of the director communicates with the nursing supervisor regarding administrative needs.
- Requires the State of Wisconsin License.
- Obtain a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) advanced credential within the first six (6) months of employment and maintain the credential. Must obtain within the first three months and maintains the CPR certification.
- Normal experience gained during an Associate Degree Respiratory Therapy training program along with the usual internship requirements.
- Must have thorough knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of patient assessment and treatment of the respiratory compromised patient.
- Must be professionally proficient in the application of respiratory therapy diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, and be able to educate patients and families.
- Must also be proficient in cardiac massage and resuscitation procedures.
Since 1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south- central Wisconsin including Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services to more than 30,000 residents.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs