RN - Parish Nurse Job
Full Job Title: Parish Nurse
Job Number: 17002063
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Part Time
Hours: 8AM - 12PM
Theparish nurse is an experienced registered nurse who utilizes nursing andspiritual commitment in a healing ministry within a faith community. The parishnurse seeks to assist members with their physical, emotional and spiritualhealth across the life span. The parish nurse works creatively to bridge thegaps identified for members in health education and the care system. She/he isa professional member of the ministerial team who combines professional nursingpractice and expertise with theological concepts to facilitate the healingmission of the faith community. This is accomplished through the corecompetencies of: health care practitioner (assessments of physical, educationaland spiritual needs related to the individual's health), integrator of healthand healing; facilitator; advocate; health educator; health counselor; andreferral source/liaison.
- Health Care Practitioner: Collaboratively assesses health needs of members of Faith Community based on physical, educational and spiritual needs related to individual's health. Fosters involvement of Health Care Practitioners who belong to the Faith Community to maximize the health of its members. Develops plans to meet needs based on agreed upon priorities and updates as necessary. Conceptualizes whole-person-wellness for Faith Community. Participates in discharge planning, on an as needed basis, for members of participating Faith Community when hospitalized at either Meriter, St. Mary's or a resident at a nursing home, assisted living of Community Based residential facility.
- Integrated Health and Healing: Promotes understanding of the relationship between lifestyle, attitudes, faith and well-being. Knowledgeable of appropriate scripture references, denominational prayers and rituals and teachings preferred, or a willingness to learn. Willing to participate in church activities and worship services as requested.
- Facilitator: Recruits and coordinates volunteers for visitation, transportation and meals for sick and elderly. Organizes support groups within the congregations such as grief, parenting, care giving and smoke stoppers, based on assessment of needs. Develops resources for the fellowship such as sacramental and liturgical activities for healing and community building.
- Advocate: Assists members in making personal choices based on their values and beliefs.
- Health Educator: Promotes the connection between physical, emotional and spiritual health and the lifestyle of the community by: creating and providing current educational materials on health issues across the life span, including information on Advanced Directives; providing and/or facilitating classes on health topics that address the members assessed needs; providing exhibits, screenings, fairs, etc. to increase a person's awareness of their health and its relationship with their faith; understanding and interpreting to clients the basics of their healthcare payment sources and to know to whom to refer them for additional assistance with complexities. Promotes understanding of the trends within the health care industry.
- Health Counselor: Discusses individual health problems, explains medications and treatments. Makes home, hospital, and nursing home visits and confers with staff in development of care plans as appropriate. Follows patients post discharge and assesses needs for further resources from church and community. Offers private sessions with individuals to assist them in modifying life-styles, adjusting to disease, coping with chronic illness and other health concerns.
- Referral Source Liaison: Acts as liaison to community resources and service. Assists families in decisions about living alternatives for older adults and treatment alternatives. Assists persons to understand and effectively use the healthcare system and reach a level of comfort to do so independently.
- Additional job description functions may be defined by congregation.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing
- Licensed as an RN in the state of Wisconsin
- Minimum of three years of experience in nursing.
- Knowledge of spiritual assessment and assessment of personal religious practice.
Preferred Qualifications:Parish nurse coursecompletion preferred
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offeringinpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care andnearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include theFamily Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics,emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University ofWisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program. Since1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south-central Wisconsinincluding Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of SunPrairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services tomore than 30,000 residents.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs