Full Job Title: Fill In Phlebotomist
Job Number: 17006688
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group West
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: PRN, Varied
Hours: 930am-600pm, 2pm-8pm, Varied
The phlebotomist is responsible for staffing the Laboratory reception desk, blood drawing, electrocardiograms, specimen processing, urine toxicology collection, and processing of laboratory reports. The duties of this position may vary depending on the laboratory division of the Medical Group. Must be flexible to work on an as needed basis. May be required to travel to sites where needed.
1. In a professional manner, provides care to patients presenting at the laboratory.
2. Properly completes test ordering and laboratory requisition slips according to physician's orders.
3. Properly completes laboratory charge slips and assure all laboratory tests are charged accurately.
4. Keeps both future and standing order files up to date and contact the provider when there is any question as to the tests ordered on a patient.
5. Follows pre-admission policy procedures in relation to laboratory testing.
6. Maintains proficiency with laboratory and medical center computer system.
7. Instructs and prepares patients for special tests.
8. Performs venipunctures, finger sticks and draw from Hickman, Groshong Catheters, or Port-a-Caths, as appropriate on adult and pediatric patients.
9. Performs and processes EKG's.
10. Collects and process urine drug screens according to written procedure.
11. Sets up microbiology cultures according to written procedures.
12. Processes and handles specimens properly according to department or reference laboratory procedures.
13. Collects specimens from physician's offices in the clinic; processes the paperwork and distributes specimens and slips to designated areas.
14. Loads and unloads courier buckets, distributing contents to appropriate areas.
15. Ensures that reception area, blood draw stations, lab and EKG rooms are clean and stocked.
16. Logs in the process laboratory reports from reference laboratories.
17. Checks and approves bills form reference laboratories.
18. As part of the crisis team, must have current CPR certification and responds to the Code Blue performing designated duties.
19. Utilizes free time; constructively. Keep current on departmental policies/procedures and other communications.
20. Participates in departmental meetings and pursues continuing education programs, seminars and workshops.
21. May be assigned to work at other sites of the Dean Medical Group assuring adequate coverage.
22. Performs any additional tasks as specified by the Coordinator, Section Leader, Supervisor or Director of Laboratory Services.
23. Practices Universal Precautions.
1. Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program or Phlebotomy Program; High School graduate or equivalent with a minimum of 1 year previous medical experience which includes some phlebotomy experience or shown proficiency in completing the Limited Phlebotomist Qualification Guidelines.
2. Demonstrates flexibility to meet department needs on short notice.
3. Adapts easily to the workflow of the different departments
4. Available to work a flexible schedule on short notice.
5. Ability to work at least one shift in a 90 day period or as designated per department
6. Ability to travel to other sites as needed.
1. Personal computer skills or previous laboratory computer experience
1. ASCP certification
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working lab equipment, writing, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to bend/twist while performing various tasks
6. Ability to safely lift and to push/pull up to 20 pounds. Direct patient handling tasks periodically occur.
7. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with bloodborne pathogens or other chemicals.
8. Ability to wear a respirator.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs