Pharmacy Technician Job
Full Job Title: Pharmacy Technician - Retail Pharmacy
Job Number: 17010347
Facility: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon
Location: Mount Vernon, IL
Schedule: Part Time (Benefit Eligible), Days
Hours: 8am - 6pm, varied
Retail pharmacy technicians assist pharmacists in preparing and dispensing medications, maintaining the drug inventory, and maintaining patient records. Pharmacy technicians assist with customer service activities such as running the cash register and making deliveries to the hospital for discharge patients. Pharmacy technicians work only under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. They do not perform duties that can legally be performed only by a registered pharmacist.
- Accurately and efficiently enters prescriptions into computer system, and assembles/prepares medications. Ensures that all prescriptions are checked by a pharmacist prior to dispensing.
- Assists the pharmacist in maintaining adequate/appropriate stock of medications and supplies. Checks in drugs shipments and follows procedures for invoices and purchase orders.
- Demonstrates a good working knowledge of the cash register operations. Successfully resolves billing questions from customers. Accurately reconcile the cash drawer at the end of the day.
- Prioritizes the work to meet the needs of the customers efficiently. Works independently and without prompting, but understands the limits of technician practice and requests a pharmacist's assistance when needed or required by law.
- Follows all procedures for documenting and dispensing controlled substances. Handles controlled substances in a manner that ensures accountability and security.
- Adapts to changes in the daily work schedule when prompted to do so by the pharmacist. Follows the direction of the pharmacist when needed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Illinois Pharmacy Technician License - Must apply once hired and obtain within 60 days of employment
- PTCB Certification - Must take and pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) within 2 years of employment if not already certified with the PTCB. Not required for those grandfathered to this requirement by the State of Illinois.
- Previous experience
About SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon
SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital–Mt. Vernon, operating in partnership with the Felician Sisters, is a 134-bed hospital with the only open heart surgery program in the region. In 2015, the hospital launched a new pediatric emergency and NICU telemedicine program in conjunction with the physicians at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital. For three consecutive years, Healthgrades has presented SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Patient Safety Excellence Award. In 2014, Quest by Premier Inc. recognized SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Citation of Merit Award for Outstanding Patient Care.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs