Medical Technologist Job
Full Job Title: Medical Technologist, Reg - Healthplex
Job Number: 16016130
Facility: St. Anthony Healthplex South
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Schedule: Per Diem
- Initiate delegated tasks based on demonstrated competence in performing laboratory activities for patient population served.
- Perform routine and/or complex tests in all areas of the laboratory on complex instrumentation or manually as assigned (e.g. hematology, bacteriology, serology, urinalysis, coagulation, toxicology, RIA, electrophoresis, chemistry, blood bank, HLA, and virology).
- Act as a liaison with other areas of the hospital, the Oklahoma Blood Institute, and other similar organizations to coordinate activities, monitor specimen quality and appropriateness, ensure an adequate blood supply for the hospital, obtain patient information, and report unusual results to appropriate physicians/personnel.
- Establish and monitor quality control programs to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, and procedures. Report failures of quality control and initiate corrective action if necessary. Calibrate, standardize, and maintain instruments; prepare reagents, standards, and controls as necessary. Validate and report results of tests performed. Alert physicians or medical staff concerning unusual results and offer suggestions concerning additional testing if needed.
- Accurately collect and label blood specimens. Total less than seven errors per moth of any combination of the following: failure to collect appropriate specimen, failure to label specimen correctly (note: two occurrences will result in unsatisfactory performance), failure to notify physician if unable to collect blood specimen, failure to leave notice of non-collect, failure to run collection summary report, or failure to meet patient expectations (evidence by occurrence reports).
- Actively participate in continuing education and in-service programs in order to maintain and increase expertise in the laboratory.
- Perform routine cleaning of patient rooms, nursing units, clinical areas, restrooms and other assigned areas following established guidelines. Demonstrate the ability to utilize and maintain equipment in a safe and proper manner. (including housekeeping cart). Utilize the appropriate cleaning agents and supplies according to established procedures.
- Transport trash, hazardous waste, soiled linen, and recyclable trash to appropriate disposal areas.
- Restock assigned areas and patient rooms with supplies, i.e. paper towels, toilet paper, soap, linen bags, gloves, sharp containers, and clean linen.
- Prepare patients for discharge and accompany them upon dismissal as indicated.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Certified as an MT by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) OR Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) by the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel (NCA) OR certification by other nationally recognized certifying agency acceptable to the Laboratory Director obtained within 18 months of hire.
- Current CPR (Heartsaver).
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs