Medical Laboratory Technician Job
Full Job Title: Medical Lab Technician or Medical Technologist
Job Number: 17013254
Facility: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon
Location: Mount Vernon, IL
Schedule: Full Time, 12 Hour Night, Nights, Rotating Weekends
Hours: 6p-6:30a; 7p-7:30a
The Medical Lab Technician provides information for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, and analysis based on physician orders.
- Accurately interprets and reports patient test results by identifying normal or unusual results, repeating tests if necessary and/or refers these results to the supervisor of the area and/or medical director.
- Consistently determines viability of specimens taking steps to acquire suitable specimens, checking label comments, and documents problems in the liS.
- Sets priorities based on changing workloads to meet expected turn around times without diminished accuracy or loss of composure.
- Regularly performs quality control testing to monitor instrument operation and follows quality control rules to initiate troubleshooting.
- Consistently performs and documents all required instrument maintenance and calibrations at defined intervals.
- Problem solving skills demonstrated by using professional judgment when interpreting data and making knowledge based decisions while involving management when appropriate.
- Trains new employees and students on an as needed basis and serve as a resource person for these staff members.
- Maintains adequate laboratory supply inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level and informing supervisor or coordinator of needs, verifying receipt of supplies, and putting away stock in appropriate storage area.
- Consistently and effectively applies high level of patient safety through high level of phlebotomy skill, following patient and specimen identification procedures, following infection control policies, and verifying unclear orders.
- Consistently completes assigned and required proficiency, competency, and procedural reviews on time.
- Associate's Degree
- ASCP certification or equivalent within 6 months from the date of hire
- MLT experience
***Qualifications listed are for MLT, but would also consider a Medical Technologist with a Bachelor's Degree for this position***
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs