Laboratory Technician Job
Full Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Job Number: 17010250
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Schedule: Occasional/Subs, Varied
The Laboratory Technician is responsible for customer service and for performing venipuncture, fingersticks, heelsticks, etc. in order to obtain blood specimens for laboratory testing. He/she is also responsible for answering the phone, filing patient results, registering patients, ordering test, logging specimens and other clerical functions as needed. He/she is responsible for processing all laboratory specimens and distributing to the appropriate area. The Laboratory Technician will assist the Medical Technologist in all aspects of the lab as assigned by the coordinator.
- Collects blood and other specimens as ordered following proper laboratory procedures.
- Properly identifies patient and labels all specimens received/collected according to hospital and departmental policy.
- Processes laboratory specimens following laboratory procedures: clocking in, assessing suitability, accessioning, processing, distributing specimens to appropriate laboratory area, informing medical technologist of arrival.
- Performs clerical functions as required: files patient results, accurately enters patient results from reference labs, identifies and resolves computer problems, reviews daily reports and resolves issues.
- Plates Microbiology cultures following proper laboratory procedure.
- Performs required ancillary testing support: ensures accurate entry of non-interfaced patient information/results, monitors and processes glucose results via LifeScan datalink system.
- Follows proper procedure for patient registration, ordering tests, test cancellation.
- Answers phone, providing exceptional customer service to staff and patients, acting as resource for laboratory testing requirements.
- Maintain and stock supplies: order supplies as required, unpack supplies and reagents, verify receipt, mark date received, and store per manufacturer's directions.
- Cleans pipettes and other glassware as necessary and documents in log.
- Processes reference lab specimens, ensuring suitable sample, proper labeling, packaging, transport, and tracking.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Associate degree and/or BS degree in Physical Science, Biology, or Chemistry highly desirable.
- Experience in phlebotomy or science related courses and medical terminology preferred.
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City is a 167-bed, full-service community hospital located in Missouri's state capital. The hospital moved to a new, state-of-the-art building in November 2014. The hospital features a dedicated inpatient pediatric unit, a Wound Center and Outpatient Treatment Center. Other services offered at the hospital include emergency services, cardiology, orthopedic care, cancer care, outpatient surgical services, maternity care and women's health.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs