Laboratory Assistant - Phlebotomist Job
Full Job Title: Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist
Job Number: 17007362
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Location: Madison, WI
Works under the general direction of the Central Accessioning Supervisor. Authorized by the Laboratory Director to perform any or all of the following duties: phlebotomy, specimen processing, specimen distribution and referral, charting, phone answering, report filing, and other miscellaneous functions to support the efficiency of the section and laboratory. Serves as a courteous Laboratory representative to our patients.
- Phlebotomy: a. Draws blood according to Laboratory policy on adults, pediatric and newborn patients. b. Prioritizes bar code orders and ensures specimens are collected at the proper time.
- Specimen Processing: a. Accessions and prepares specimens for Chemistry, Hematology, Blood Bank, Microbiology and Surgical Pathology. b. Prepares, sends, and reports results on all referral specimens. Maintains an accurate record of all referral tests includes: order entry "on-line" via interface; releases results from queue; travel list generation; and checking specimen for correct information, correct quantity of sample & correct holding temperature. c. Operates lab equipment; reports any necessary maintenance or operating problems to Supervisor.
- Other Procedures and Tasks: a. Performs non-DOT urine drug screen collections as required for pre-employment or occupation. b. Assists in orienting and training new employees and phlebotomy students as assigned.
- Clerical: a. Scans, mails and files laboratory patient reports to appropriate clinic or doctor's office. b. Answers telephone, routes calls to appropriate individuals, takes and relays messages; operates intercom system. c. Monitors inventory and orders supplies as assigned. d. Enters reference laboratory test results into the computer system. e. Orders, admits and enters reference laboratory test results on outpatients and admissions. f. Monitors, prepares and distributes supplies to appropriate locations.
- Problem Solving: Follows existing protocols in recognizing and initiates follow through with appropriate staff, technical specialists or supervisor.
- Communication: Communicates with internal and external staff and supervisors in a courteous manner to create a positive image of helpfulness and cooperation.
- Flexibility: Adapts to change in procedures, equipment and schedules to meet the clinical laboratory needs requested by our customers.
- Quality Improvement: Completes/files occurrence reports and participates in the Laboratory Quality Improvement Program to continuously improve the overall quality of laboratory services.
- Continuing Education: Maintains skills and knowledge at the competency level required for the position.
- Performs temperature, safety and maintenance checks as specified by supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of a medical assistance program or equivalent experience in a clinical laboratory setting involving phlebotomy duties required.
- Requires an in depth working knowledge and skills for proper identification of patients, specimen requirements and factors that influence specimen acceptability, venipuncture and micro phlebotomy technics, use of centrifuges and other equipment to process specimens.
- Requires basic knowledge of laboratory tests, clerical functions.
- Requires basic skill in use of computers, good communication, customer service and human relations skills.
- Requires legible handwriting, ability to follow detailed directions and ability to concentrate through interruptions.
Graduate of a certified phlebotomy technician program.
St. Mary's Hospital – Madison –
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program. Since 1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south-central Wisconsin including Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services to more than 30,000 residents.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs