Laboratory Assistant Job
Full Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
Job Number: 17007159
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Audrain
Location: Mexico, MO
Schedule: Occasional/Subs, Varied
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for customer service and for performing venipuncture, fingersticks, heelsticks, etc. in order to obtain blood specimens for laboratory testing. They are also responsible for answering the phone, filing patient results, registering patients, ordering test, logging specimens and other clerical functions as needed. He/she is responsible for processing all laboratory specimens and distributing to the appropriate area.
- Perform venipuncture; obtain, receive, label and deliver blood samples to the laboratory work areas.
- Perform finger stick and heel stick collections on neonates and small children.
- Perform laboratory tests such as bleeding and coagulation times, qualitative urinalysis, administration of glucose tolerance test solution, and microbiology set-ups.
- Relieve other lab assistants and receptionists as needed, including secretarial duties such as filing lab reports and answering the telephone.
- Coordinate and perform paternity test collections.
- Obtain urine drug screen collections following Federal and client guidelines.
- Centrifuge laboratory specimens, transfer serum to labeled container, complete report forms and send entire package to a reference laboratory.
- Answers phone, providing exceptional customer service to staff and patients, acting as resource for laboratory testing requirements.
- Keep centrifuges clean. Periodically clean work areas. Clean glassware as needed.
- Replace and maintain an adequate level of blood collecting supplies.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Require specific courses in Business, English and Math.
- 1 year previous experience in hospital environment.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs