Laboratory Assistant Job
Full Job Title: Laboratory Assistant 1
Job Number: 17014864
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group Whitewater
Location: Whitewater, WI
Schedule: Full Time
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM, rotating shift and Saturday monring 8:00 am-11:00 am
The Laboratory Assistant 1 responsibilities include phlebotomy, specimen processing, limited laboratory testing (CliA waived), EKG's and staffing the lab reception desk. The duties of this position may vary depending on the laboratory. Depending upon location may be asked to cover responsibilities in other departments.
- In a professional manner, provides care to patients presenting at the laboratory.
- Maintains proficiency with laboratory and laboratory computer system as demonstrated by appropriately entering, accessing and executing lab orders.
- Performs venipuncture and capillary collection as appropriate on adult and pediatric patients.
- Performs and processes EKG's.
- Ensures the reception area, blood draw stations, lab and EKG rooms are clean and stocked.
- Processes and handles specimens properly according to department or reference laboratory procedures.
- Loads and unloads courier buckets, distributing contents appropriately.
- Monitors reference laboratory outstanding lists and appropriate follows up with overdue patient results.
- Monitors daily temperatures of laboratory room, refrigerators and freezers and log in appropriate book.
- Is responsible for performing limited laboratory testing based on documented training and competency.
- Satisfactorily performs and documents proficiency testing. Satisfactorily performs and documents all other quality assurance procedures.
- Participates in the Dean Medical Group laboratory competency assessment program. Satisfactorily performs and properly maintains all competency assessment events.
May be assigned to work at other sites of DMG to assure adequate coverage.
1. High school graduate or equivalent with 2 years of previous medical or laboratory experience which must include phlebotomy or a graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy program.
2. Excellent oral communication skills.
3. Ability to work with a variety of people.
1. Previous laboratory computer experience.
2. Previous CliA waived laboratory testing experience.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working lab equipment, writing, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to bend/twist while performing various tasks
6. Ability to safely lift and to push/pull up to 20 pounds. Direct patient handling tasks periodically occur.
7. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with blood borne pathogens or other chemicals.
8. Ability to wear a respirator.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs