Laboratory Assistant - Clinic Job
Full Job Title: Clinic Laboratory Assistant
Job Number: 17008217
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group Whitewater
Location: Whitewater, WI
Schedule: Part Time (Benefit Eligible), Days, Rotating Weekends
Hours: 8am - 6 pm
The Laboratory Assistant responsibilities include phlebotomy, specimen processing, urine toxicology collection, breath alcohol testing, and waived testing. Position performs a wide variety of laboratory technical and clerical procedures requiring independent judgment in multiple areas within the laboratory. Work is completed independently in a prompt, accurate, and reliable manner while adhering to established departmental policies and procedures. The duties of this position may vary depending on the laboratory division of the Medical Center.
1. Provides service to patients presenting at the laboratory in a professional manner. Adheres to all Customer Service protocols to create a positive image of helpfulness and cooperation.
2. Maintains proficiency with laboratory and medical center computer system as demonstrated by appropriately entering, accessing and executing lab orders.
3. Performs venipuncture and capillary/heel stick collections as appropriate on adult, pediatric and infant patients.
4. Properly prepares specimens for in-house and reference laboratory testing and transport according to department or reference laboratory procedures.
5. Collect and process urine drug screens and Breath Alcohol Testing.
6. Maintains a clean, well-stocked work area.
7. Performs waived laboratory testing based on training and competency. Satisfactorily performs required proficiency testing for waived test systems as assigned.
8. Gathers clinical specimens, loads and unloads courier buckets, receives and distributes contents to appropriate areas.
9. Engages in problem solving regarding orders, specimen requirements and testing concerns. Follows existing protocols in recognizing, documenting and initiating follow through with appropriate staff, technical specialist or manager.
10. Assists in orienting and training new employees and students as assigned.
11. Adapts to change in processes, procedures, equipment and schedules to meet the clinical laboratory's business needs. .
12. Maintains skills and knowledge at the competency level required for the position. Satisfactorily participates in all assigned competency activities.
13. May be assigned to work at other laboratory locations to assure adequate staffing coverage.
14. Performs and documents temperature, safety and maintenance checks as specified on laboratory equipment.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent with two years of previous medical experience which must include phlebotomy experience or a graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy program.
2. Basic computer literacy.
3. Fluently speaks, reads, and writes with the ability to clearly communicate, present ideas, facts, and clinical information
4. Ability to perform a variety of duties and multi-task, without the loss of efficiency or composure
5. Team player with the ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships working effectively with others.
1. Previous laboratory computer experience (i.e. Beaker)
2. ASCP certification
3. Previous CliA waived laboratory testing experience.
4. 1-2 years of specimen processing experience.
5. Experience mentoring and/or training employees/students.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Strong learning and memory skills; ability to process verbal communications efficiently
3. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
4. Normal color perception
5. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
6. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working lab equipment, writing, computer or phone tasks.
7. Ability to bend/twist while performing various tasks
8. Ability to safely lift and to push/pull up to 20 pounds. Direct patient handling tasks periodically occur.
9. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with blood borne pathogens or chemicals.
10. Ability to wear a respirator.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs