IT Business Consultant Job
Full Job Title: Business Consultant
Job Number: 17009384
Facility: SSM Health - Integrated Health Technologies
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time
Reporting to the VP of Strategy and Planning, the Business Consultant is responsible for working closely with the CIO and senior business and IT leaders to analyze major IT projects in terms of the business problem or opportunity being addressed, the alignment with the SSM Health business strategy, the business and technical risks involved, the data required, the estimated development and life cycle costs, and the expected return (with a key goal being to express this in terms of a quantitative verifiable value proposition).
The incumbent is responsible for working with the VP of Strategy and Planning to develop and implement a common business analysis process, ensuring all major projects have clearly articulated value propositions, risk analyses, and estimated development and lifecycle costs; enabling them to be assessed and prioritized on a consistent basis. This individual will also play a key role in establishing a consistent approach to project management and tracking within IT; aimed at enhancing project quality and timeliness, while controlling overall IT costs.
- Impart the philosophy, values, mission and vision of SSM Health and facilitates the integration of values in CQI activities.Understand, embrace and practice the principles of CQI.
- Understand and exemplify the philosophy and values of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary and SSM Health.
- Working closely with the CIO and senior business and IT leaders, develops the business case and requirements for major IT projects ensuring that they are closely aligned with the SSM Health strategy.
- Ensure project proposals have a clearly defined value proposition, along with an assessment of business and technical risks, data requirements, and estimated development and lifecycle costs, enabling them to be compared and prioritized on a consistent basis.
- Ensure that proposed projects are consistent with the capacity and skills of the IT function and can be supported on an on-going basis at acceptable cost.
- Ensure that projects are compatible with the overall SSM Health IT infrastructure.
- Provide consulting support to senior SSM Health managers in the development and documentation of business case proposals.
- Serve as a member of project steering committees for major strategic IT projects ensuring that the project stays focused on the agreed business requirements and scope and that major changes are reflected in an updated project proposal that receives appropriate management review and approval.
- Provide post-implementation tracking for major projects helping to ensure the expected benefits are obtained and that key insights are captured and incorporated into future projects and processes.
- Support the implementation of a consistent project management approach across IT aimed at enhancing project quality and delivery while controlling overall costs.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an improved project estimating capability recognizing that accuracy varies across the major phases of a project (improves as the scope and requirements become fully defined) and making effective use of historical data on project delivery.
- Help to establish a core set of metrics for tracking IT performance. These will be used as an overall scorecard for IT performance and tracked and reported on a regular basis.
- Master's degree required
- At least 10 years of experience managing large, complex IT projects
- Impart the mission, philosophy, values, and vision of SSM Health and facilitates the integration of values in CQI activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively across the organization from individual contributors to the senior levels of executive management.
- A strategic thinker able to understand the business direction and goals and their potential implications in terms of the IT systems required to support them.
- Tenacity and attention to detail in developing the associated functional requirements, risk assessments, cost estimates and plans and tracking the delivery of approved projects.
- An effective team player, capable of playing both leadership and supportive roles, who recognizes that the IT portfolio attempts to optimize the response to a broad set of business needs; together with an assessment of business and technical risks, the short-term and long-term funding available, and the skills and capabilities of the IS organization.
- PMP Certification preferred
SSM Health Integrated Health Technologies –
At SSM Health Integrated Health Technologies, information systems and clinical engineering systems come together to form a hub of technology for SSM Health - an integrated delivery network with hospitals in four states: Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma. It is based in St. Louis with locations throughout our system. It has been honored four times with Missouri Quality Awards since 2002 and has been recognized as a national leader in the adoption of an electronic health record.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs