Histologic Technician Job
Full Job Title: Histologic Technician
Job Number: 17009337
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Full Time
Works under the general direction of the Surgical PathologySupervisor. Authorized by the Laboratory Director to prepare portions of bodytissues selected for microscopic examination using cutting, mounting andstaining techniques, prepare and perform all special staining procedures in ourhighly complex testing Laboratory as specified by CliA-88.
- Major Technical Functions: a. Embeds, cuts, stains, and coverslips surgical tissue using paraffin wax while maintaining identity and orientation of each tissue section. b. Maintains the VIP processors, paraffin dispensers, microtomes and other equipment. This includes cleaning, purging, and rotating solutions. c. Prepares stock solutions and special stains. Maintains staining dishes and operates automated stainer. d. Sets up special staining and immunohistochemistry staining protocols. Operates automated equipment. e. Assists in registering, accessioning and labeling specimens while ensuring adequate fixation. f. Prepares frozen sections by labeling, cutting, staining and preserving the specimens. g. Assists the Radiologist and Pathologist in collection of fine needle aspirate specimens. h. Assures that working supplies are adequate. This includes staining reagents, liquid nitrogen, agar, stock solutions, etc. Contacts appropriate person for ordering of supplies. i. Files, rotates and transfers surgical and paraffin blocks. j. Answers telephone and performs general maintenance and organization of work areas. k. Records applicable temperature readings of equipment and records daily totals as required.
- Problem Solving: Follows existing protocols in recognizing and initiates follow through with appropriate staff, technical specialists or supervisor.
- Flexibility: Adapts to change in procedures, equipment and schedules to meet the clinical laboratory needs requested by our customers.
- Quality Improvement: Completes/files discrepancy reports and participates in the Laboratory Quality Improvement Program to continuously improve the overall quality of laboratory services.
- Continuing Education: Maintains skills and knowledge at the competency level required for the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires Histology Technician (HT) or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS); or Bachelors of Science degree in a clinical science (biology, chemistry, biochem, etc.) with (at least) 1 year prior histology experience; or Associates degree with (at least) 2 years prior histology experience; or High school diploma with (at least) 3 years prior histology experience.
- ASCP certification or eligible (completion within 1 year of start date)
Prior experience in an active histology laboratory preferred
St. Mary's Hospital – Madison –
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program. Since 1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south-central Wisconsin including Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services to more than 30,000 residents.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs