Financial Counselor Job
Full Job Title: Financial Counselor
Job Number: 17008438
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Centralia
Location: Centralia, IL
Schedule: Part Time (Benefit Eligible)
- Screens patients for eligibility for other potential funding sources when a patient is not able to meet his or her liability related to their service.
- Identifies patients that qualify for Medicaid and initiate the application process.
- Initiate financial assistance application and assess patients for Charity Care eligibility.
- Coordinates with Patient Service Center to ensure financial clearance of in-house patients.
- Coordinates with Patient Service Center to ensure appropriate education of financial clearance responsibilities for Labor & Delivery patients.
- Develops patient payment plan for self-pay applicants and assist with financial arrangement for patient care encounters.
- Coordinates efforts within the Patient Access department to determine and educate the patient of their financial liabilities, collect any amounts owed, and oversee the financial investigation to identify payment sources and possible alternatives.
- Works directly with medical staff, nursing, ancillary departments, insurance carriers and other external professionals to assist families in obtaining healthcare and financial services.
- Assists patients with onsite customer service functions (e.g., billing, medical record, and collection inquiries) by coordinating with other patient business services functions and departments.
- Checks out patient at discharge to ensure all proper information has been obtained and patient is clinically and financially cleared; perform document imaging when necessary.
- Performs cashiering functions when necessary.
- Coordinates discharge processing with On-site staff, Case Management and Clinicians.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- The ability to set measure and consistently achieve goals within established timelines
- The ability to establish and maintain effective, collegial, professional relationships with peers, staff and other regular contacts
- Clear understanding of the impact financial counselor services has on patient business services operations and financial performance
- Exceptional communications and customer service skills
- Possess understanding of and follows regulations outlined by state, federal, and third-party coverage procedures
- Experience with Medicaid and charity care application process
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs