Director - Emergency Services Job
Full Job Title: Director Emergency Services
Job Number: 17006608
Facility: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon
Location: Mount Vernon, IL
Schedule: Full Time, Days
The primary role of the Director of Nursing in achieving organizational expectations is as a communicator, facilitator and translator of the organizational expectations; and assures the team leaders and staff employees have the human and fiscal resources to effectively accomplished an engaged workforce, distinctive patient services and the provisions of quality and safe services. The Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and managing nursing unit with twenty-four hour accountability.
- Provides leadership for the Emergency Department by: correctly interpreting and implementing regulatory standards, working with hospital administration on planning organizing and directing Emergency operations and ensuring compliance with local, state and federal regulations. Promotes and advances hospital-community relationships and participates in community affairs.
- Supervises staff by: monitoring individual work performance and appraising employee work results annually. Responsible for coaching, counseling and intervening in employee work performance as needed.
- Participates in development and implementation of policies and procedures by: developing annual goals and action plans with staff input/assistance, establishing policies and procedures of the department and reviewing annually, interpreting and communicating department and hospital policies to the staff in a timely manner, and maintaining department policy and procedure, treatment and orientation manuals within regulatory guidelines
- Fosters a spirit of community by working in harmony with coworkers and others throughout the organization, as well as with vendors and outside customers of the department. Coordinating Emergency services with other facilities by: demonstrating positive interactions with administrations, other departments, physicians, patients, families, and outside agencies, timely participation on teams and committees, timely and effective resolution of conflicts, demonstrating effective communication skills.
- Assists in financial management of the department by: development of operating and capital budgets in a timely manner, utilizing staff, equipment and resources effectively while remaining within budget, accurately maintaining department logs and activity records, overseeing department charging system for accuracy for coding and billing. Ensures growth and stability of the department.
- Secures and maintains the physical facilities, equipment and supplies which are required for optimal functioning of the department.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement by: assisting in identifying opportunities for improvement/change, assisting in data collection/analysis, making and implementing recommendations for improvements/change with input from shared governance team within system guidelines, participating in focus groups/performance improvement teams as needed.
- Protects patients, visitors and employees by: keeping information confidential assuring that all interactions with customers and patients are fair and unbiased, following infection control guidelines for hand washing, cleaning and others as they apply to Emergency and participating in proper operation, maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administration. Interacts professionally with patient/family. Consults other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities. Initiates, interprets and enforces department procedures and maintains and interprets hospital policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Registered Nurse licensed in the State of Illinois
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a manager/supervisor with employees reporting directly to you
- BLS, ACLS, PALS, ECRN
- Master's Degree in Nursing or Health Care Administration
SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital–Mt. Vernon, operating in partnership with the Felician Sisters, is a 134-bed hospital with the only open heart surgery program in the region. In 2015, the hospital launched a new pediatric emergency and NICU telemedicine program in conjunction with the physicians at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital. For three consecutive years, Healthgrades has presented SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Patient Safety Excellence Award. In 2014, Quest by Premier Inc. recognized SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Citation of Merit Award for Outstanding Patient Care.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs