Community Pharmacy Technician Job
Full Job Title: Community Pharmacy Technician 1
Job Number: 17009046
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group East
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Full Time
The Community Pharmacy Technician I is responsible for assisting pharmacists in providing pharmacy services within established procedures with direct supervision. This is an entry level position for those with limited or no experience in the skill area. This technician has limited skills attained through formal training or prior work experience in the customer service sector. Has the ability to learn how to identify relevant issue in straight forward problems and build this skill over time. He/she makes sound decisions. Works with moderate assistance from other staff; and functions in a facilitating capacity at any SSM Health Pharmacy location . This technician conducts department business in a manner consistent with SSM's values and mission.
1. Ensures that each customer receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting and acknowledging every customer and having a good knowledge of all merchandise. Assists customers in finding merchandise within the pharmacy.
2. Uses appropriate telephone skills and responds to all calls that do not require the personal attention of a pharmacist. Records complete messages for follow up by another pharmacy staff person.
3. Accurately and efficiently processes prescriptions by entering patient data, insurance and prescription information into a computer. Ensures the patient and pharmacy staff person knows when delays are encountered.
4. Researches and corrects rejected insurance claims which may involve contacting the insurance company or getting assistance from others to validate information.
5. When entering prescriptions, reviews patient's profile in the pharmacy system for same medication and discontinues old prescription. If new prescription has changed, asks pharmacist for guidance.
6. Uses understanding of various Medication Therapy Management (MTM) programs from different insurers to identify a qualifying patient. Consistently flags MTM opportunities.
7. Accurately and efficiently fills prescriptions by retrieving the correct medication from inventory matching the National Drug Code (NDC), manufacturer, drug name strength, form, and quantity. Assists in dispensing prescriptions by pouring liquids, mixing suspensions and counting prefabricated dosage units.
8. Checks in orders from wholesalers ensuring product is within date and that the items received matches the ordered quantity. Processes and files invoices.
9. Accurately and efficiently operates the cash register or point of sale (POS) system and performs end of day check out using good cash handling techniques with minimal shortages/overages.
10. Organizes and files completed prescriptions for documentation and future reference.
11. On a daily basis, opens and responds to mail from all sources; paper and electronic.
12. Maintains organization and cleanliness of the pharmacy, including over the counter (OTC), and waiting areas.
13. Develops and maintains a good public relations image for the store.
14. Assists in packaging finished prescriptions after being checked by a pharmacist and places them into the appropriate will call, mail out or delivery area.
15. Understands and consistently demonstrates proper handling of controlled substances with moderate assistance from other staff.
1. High school degree or equivalent with a minimum of one year work experience as a pharmacy technician or other retail/customer service experience.
2. Current Pharmacy Technician Certification or obtain certification within six months of date of hire.
3. The ability to enter and retrieve information from a computer.
4. Strong math skills in pharmacy calculations.
5. Strong customer service and communication skills for interacting with patients and staff over the phone, computer or in person.
1. Previous experience in a retail pharmacy setting.
2. Previous cash handling skills.
Essential Physical Functions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. The ability to enter and retrieve information from a computer terminal
2. The ability to perform fine motor skills and grasping task
3. The ability to stand for long periods of time
4. The ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in person
5. The ability to read fine print
6. The ability to safely lift 30 pounds from floor to shoulder
7. Ability to work 1st and 2nd shift hours
8. The ability to drive personal vehicle, or other reliable transportation, in a timely manner between facilities
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs