Coding Specialist Job
Full Job Title: Coding Specialist III
Job Number: 17006083
Facility: St. Anthony Hospital
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Schedule: Full Time
- Concurrently review all Medicare (primary and secondary payor) admissions in 24 to 48 hours of admission. Assign ICD-9-CM codes to the in-house chart with a 94% accuracy level, as determined by random audit. Communicate with the attending physician/CDS's to obtain complete documentation of the case to ensure optimal coding with follow-up and self audits.
- Code abstract diagnoses and procedures according to accepted ICD-9-CM coding guidelines, HCFA/Medicare regulations and hospital standards for all Inpatient (Medicare may be coded concurrently or retrospectively), Outpatient Surgery, Interventional Radiology, Emergency Room, Private Referral outpatient, Observation and outpatient patients. Code procedures according to CPT-4 guidelines for all Medicare outpatient and emergency room records. Communicate with physicians and clinicians/CDS's concerning diagnoses and procedures when coding questions arise. Maintain an accuracy rate of 94% on random audit. The productivity standards are: 3.8 records coded/hour for in-patient, private pay, Medicare, or commercial; 5 records/hour for outpatient surgery records; 6 records/hour for emergency room; 90% of all records are coded within four (4) days of discharge.
- Ensure optimum reimbursement through accurate coding and DRG assignment. Maintain an accuracy level of 93% in DRG assignment as determined in random audits.
- Extract clinical and demographic information from medical records in accordance with established standards for the hospital's internal computerized clinical abstract database. Abstract all Inpatient, Outpatient Surgery, Interventional Radiology, Emergency Room, and outpatient records within four days of discharge with an accuracy level of 94% as determined by random audit. Utilize the computer terminal for data input/output and for the release of coded data as required on the UB-82 bill (drops bills). Ensure all records are sent accurately and timely.
- Respond appropriately to requests for coding information from physicians, Business Office, and others. Generate routine and customized reports as needed/requested.
- Stay abreast of all changes in coding conventions and coding updates by reading in-service materials provided by professional organizations.
- Act as resource for other Coding Technicians and assist in assigning codes for complex medical records.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred. RHIA, RHIT or CCS may be substituted for experience.
- Two years of current in-patient coding experience.
- Extensive knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT coding methodologies.
- Associate or Bachelor's degree in Medical Records Technology preferred.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs