Clinical Nurse Specialist - Medical/Surgical Job
Full Job Title: Clinical Nurse Specialist- Medical/Surgical
Job Number: 17007587
Facility: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Full Time
Hours: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
The Clinical Nurse Specialist is accountable for managing the outcomes of health care delivery in the areas of clinical responsibility. The Clinical Nurse Specialist achieves outcomes management through five role competencies: 1) advanced practitioner, 2) consultant, 3) educator, 4) clinical leader, and 5) researcher. The Clinical Nurse Specialist works across five spheres of influence that include: 1) individual patient and family, 2) patient populations, 3) interdisciplinary team, 4) organization/system, and 5) health care system.
- Utilizes the nursing process to plan and coordinate interventions and evaluate care for patients and families through complex clinical reasoning and advanced synthesis of information, management of complex health care needs and coordination of the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Designs and maintains systems and structured care methodologies (Care Pathways, guidelines, protocols).
- Provides consultation at the organizational, cross-continuum, and system-wide levels.
- Provides leadership for quality improvement, new program development initiatives and develops and maintains clinical referral relationships.
- Facilitates the development of St. Mary's as a learning organization through systems thinking and critical analysis.
- Develops interdisciplinary practices that are clinically effective and cost effective.
- Represents the hospital's perspective in cross-continuum health care initiatives and community-wide health care initiatives.
- Assures organization-wide Evidence Based Practices through systematic evaluation of current practice, interpretation and utilization of research findings, conducting research and/or collaborating in the conducting of research.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Earned Masters or Doctorate from a program that prepares CNS's. Alternatively, a post-masters certification from a program that is recognized by a national nursing accrediting body as preparing graduates to practice as a CNS for a specialty population. Must have completed CNS track.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Wisconsin.
- Minimum of five years of experience in area of clinical specialization.
- National certification for specialty practice preferred.
- Cardio-pulmonary background desired.
St. Mary's Hospital – Madison –
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program. Since 1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south-central Wisconsin including Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services to more than 30,000 residents.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs