Clinical Laboratory Technician Job
Full Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technician
Job Number: 17002712
Facility: SSM Health Dean Medical Group West
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Benefit Eligible, Full Time, 8 Hour Day, Days, Varied, Rotating Weekends
Hours: 9am-530p, 8am-430p, 930a-600p, 1215p-845p
The Clinical Laboratory Technician is responsible for knowledge and ability to accurately perform test procedures and for the routine operation of the laboratory.
1. Responsible for performing laboratory testing in any Dean Medical Group location. The characteristics of this position are: a) Perform testing within a comprehensive test menu, b) Expanded knowledge of multiple type of instrumentation and/or test systems, c) ability to multi-task as lab testing demand dictates, d) ability to provide technical consultation if needed.
2. Adheres to all laboratory quality control (QC) policies. Reviews and documents QC results as appropriate for test system. Identifies and follows appropriate corrective action procedures for out-of-control QC results.
3. Is knowledgeable of and follows all laboratory technical and quality assurance policies and procedures for specimen handling and processing, patient test records, and test analyses including calibration procedures. Reads and/or reviews policies and procedures periodically and in a timely manner.
4. Periodically performs and documents proficiency testing (PT), test on appropriate specimens, slides, or PT material following laboratory policies and does it in a satisfactory manner. Satisfactorily performs and documents all other internal quality assurance and training procedures (i.e. competency procedures).
5. Work in an organized manner, keeping work area neat and clean.
6. Performs daily and preventative instrument maintenance. Follows all corrective action procedures if test systems are not functioning within acceptable limits of performance. Documents appropriately.
7. Is able to identify adverse instrument and/or test system operation or performance. Corrects problem and/or notifies coordinator, section leader, supervisor, or director of problem.
8. Performs adult or pediatric venipunctures, finger sticks, or draws from indwelling catheters (as appropriate for a given laboratory location).
9. Instruct and prepare patients for special tests.
10. Perform reception, phlebotomist and EKG duties as needed.
11. As part of the crisis team, must have CPR certification current and respond to Code Blue and perform designated duties.
12. Collect and process urine drug screens according to written protocol.
13. Set up microbiology cultures according to procedure manual.
14. May be required to rotate to other Dean Medical Group laboratories as deemed necessary by lab coordinator and/or supervisors to assure adequate coverage.
15. Load and unload courier buckets, distributing contents to appropriate areas.
16. Collect specimens from physician's offices in the clinic; process the paperwork and distribute specimens and slips to designated areas
17. Attends and participates in departmental and clinic meetings. Attending seminars, workshops, and other continuing education programs is encouraged.
18. Perform any additional tasks as specified by the Coordinator, Section Leader, Specialty or Regional Supervisor or Specialty or Regional Director.
19. Conform to appropriate infection control policies in their contact with patients and with blood and body fluids (i.e. practice Universal Precautions).
20. Department standard duties may vary by division.
- Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician training/education with ASCP certification or equivalent. OR
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing the Limited Clinical Laboratory Technician competency guidelines, with ASCP certification or equivalent.
- Personal computer skills or previous laboratory computer experience.
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs