Certified Ophthalmic Assistant - Refractive Surgery Job
Full Job Title: OA/Certified Ophthalmic Assistant Refractive Surgery
Job Number: 17010449
Facility: SSM Health Davis Duehr Dean Eye Care
Location: Madison, WI
Schedule: Part Time (Benefit Eligible), Days
Hours: 8-5 Monday - Friday 4 days a week
Join our team and be part of the talent thatmakes Davis Duehr Dean exceptional!Askabout our increased wages for OA/COA positions.
The Ophthalmic Assistant/Certified OphthalmicAssistant functions in a Clinic setting performing various visual functionprocedures as related to delivery of care to eye patients. The OA/ COA isinvolved in direct patient care for both general and/or preventive eye care andcomplications related to injury or disease of the eye. The OA/COA may alsoact as a scribe by documenting (on behalf of the provider) all clinicallyrelevant interaction and dialogue during the course of the patient visit.
The Ophthalmic Assistant is an entry level position designed toprepare the Ophthalmic Assistant to perform the more complicated ophthalmicprocedures performed with the increase in knowledge andcertification. Davis Duehr Dean offers in house training, assists withcertification classes, and pays certification fees.
The position is open to OA, COA, and COT. An OAapplying for the position would need to obtain their COA within one year ofhire. Once certified, a COA holdingthis position would earn an additional $1/hour premium, due to the position'splacement with an MD practice.
1. Manages patient flow and performs rooming standards.
2. Initiate documentation of the patient's chief complaint, history of present illness, review of systems, and all pertinent ocular findings accurately and in accordance with compliance guidelines. Perform testing to include visual acuity measurement, color vision testing, lensometry, keratometry, testing pupil function, tonometry, automated perimetry, evaluation of EOMs, confrontation visual field testing, and other patient services as requested by the ophthalmologist. Measure and record vital signs including blood pressure, pulse and respirations. Administer topical ophthalmic and oral medications at the direction of the physician.
3. Escorts patients to other areas of the department for completion of the examination.
4. Collects and records accurate telephone information and relays it to ophthalmic provider or technician.
5. Depending on location and/or department, may be responsible for performing the following responsibilities:
a. Basic computer scheduling, canceling and coordination of appointment.
b. Auditing of charge tickets for 24 hour turnover and verification of procedure and diagnosis code.
c. May act as a scribe by documenting (on behalf of the provider) all clinically relevant interaction and dialogue during the course of the patient visit. This will include: documenting history and exam, entering diagnoses, orders (medications, labs, imaging, consults, etc.), diagnoses, E&M, follow up and patient instructions. The COA will then review instructions and goals and print the visit summary for the patient.
6. Assist with minor surgery procedures and laser treatments in the office.
Inventory and maintain surgical instruments in accordance with OSHA standards. Remove and apply dressings as directed.
7. Educate patients regarding administration of medications, and pre- and post- operative instructions as directed by physician. Complete requests for prescription refills as authorized by physician with full documentation in patient chart.
8. Screen patients and calls for emergency/urgent situations; obtain pertinent information for provider.
9. Must have a good general knowledge of contact lenses.
10. Orders and maintains supplies and material needed in the assigned work area.
11. Open and close exam lanes daily, ensuring that equipment is cleaned and disinfected in an appropriate manner, battery-powered instruments are seated properly in recharge wells, slit lamps and projectors are switched off and are under covers. Assist with maintenance of clinical examination equipment.
12. Coordinates surgical packets with appropriate surgical site.
13. Participate in teaching students when requested, model a high quality practice, participate in orientation of new personnel and their development.
14. Attends and participates in programs offering continuing education.
15. Acts as a resource to other health care providers.
16. Follow all safety procedures as per protocol guidelines.
17. Performs additional medical responsibilities assigned by ophthalmic provider, who supervises and assumes legal responsibilities for these actions.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Completion of the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel of Ophthalmology Certified Ophthalmic Assistant examination.
2. Must complete and pass the Proficiency Assessment delivered at the conclusion of the onboarding program.
1. Previous medical experience
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working with ophthalmic equipment, computer work, writing or phone tasks.
4. Ability to twist/bend and hold awkward positions to refract
5. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and to push/pull boxes, ophthalmic equipment or wheelchairs. Some direct patient handling tasks are performed.
6. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with bloodborne pathogens or other chemicals.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Back to top
Browse by Job Family
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advanced Practitioner Jobs
- Allied Health Jobs
- Clinical Engineering Services Jobs
- Health Information Management Jobs
- IT Jobs
- Nursing Jobs
- Nursing Support Jobs
- Patient Financial Services Jobs
- Pharmacy Jobs
- Physician & Associate Staff Jobs
- Professional Services Jobs
- Support Services Jobs
- Therapy Jobs